Bieszczady Forest Railway
Bieszczady Key Facts
- Gauge: 750mm
- Operating Length: 21km
- Total Length: 75km
- Status: Operating
In summer 2016, trains run every Saturday, Sunday and public holiday from May to October, and daily in July and August. Trains run to both Przysłup and Balnica on all operating days except in October, when only the Przysłup train runs. See timetable below, or the PDF timetable.
Winter trains ran every Saturday during the Polish winter school holidays, 16 January to 27 February 2016. Trains departed Majdan at 12:00, ran to Balnica, and returned to Majdan at around 13:45.
Most trains are diesel hauled, but there is a steam hauled train to Balnica every Friday in July and August. Tickets are available from Majdan station or on the train. The ticket office at Majdan station opens at around 09:00. In the peak summer holiday period, arriving in good time to buy a ticket is recommended as trains can sell out. Diesel- or steam-hauled trains or a 10-seater diesel draisine are available to hire by phoning the Bieszczady Forest Railway Foundation on (+48) 13 46 86 335.
The following trains run in summer 2016:
- 09:30 Majdan - Przysłup (10:40-11:10) - Majdan 12:20 -- Runs on Saturdays and Sundays from May to October and daily in July and August.
- 10:00 Majdan - Balnica (10:45-11:15) - Majdan 12:00 -- Runs on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in July and August, steam-hauled on Fridays.
- 13:00 Majdan - Balnica (13:45-14:15) - Majdan 15:00 -- Runs on Saturdays and Sundays from May to September and daily in July and August.
- 13:30 Majdan - Przysłup (14:40-15:10) - Majdan 16:20 -- Runs on Saturdays and Sundays in July and August.
- 15:30 Majdan - Balnica (16:15-16:45) - Majdan 17:30 -- Runs daily from 10 July to 20 August.
- Bieszczadzka Kolejka Leśna - official website
- The Bieszczady forest railway on Railmap
- Koleje wąskotorowe w Polsce (www.koleje.wask.pl) by Krzysztof Zientara
- Polish Narrow Gauge Railways (www.cleeve.com) by Andrew Goodwin, Stephen Goodwin and Dave Meller
- Behind the Water Tower blog- Bieszczady Posts:
- Bieszczady Railway gets ready for season, 17 April 2008
- Bieszczady, just 3,800 metres to go!, 29 April 2008
- Bieszczady Railway end of year report, 3 November 2009
- Blowing hot and cold in the Carpathians, 8 February 2011
- Bieszczady buildings recommissioned, 2 October 2011
- Snow, 6 February 2012
- Narrow gauge trains in the snow, 10 February 2012